Sunday, March 15, 2009

Khao Lak (Jen)



Ah, I am sooo relaxed. I think it has finally hit me that I do not need to see everything, do everything, or think about going back to work for another 10 months or so. (sorry for rubbing that in . . .) I’ve finally realized that it is ok to spend an entire day just reading and lazing about. That is what Khao Lak has done for both Perry and I.

We arrived with a plan to stay one or two days. Just long enough to organize a liveaboard to Similan Islands so that I could do a bit of diving prior to heading back to Bangkok and then up north. We had both firmly declared that we were beached out and it was time to move on. But, I felt I would regret it if I didn’t do any diving here. (I’ve been told that Similan Islands is some of the best diving in the world.)

Things changed. First we checked into our super cute, comfortable, and cheap bungalow. Then we rented a scooter and realized that there are a multitude of near deserted beaches within 10 minutes of here. Then we realized that there is a fantastic noodle soup stand right across the street from our bungalow. Then we met some of the nice and super relaxed locals in this area. Needless to say, we have been here for almost a week now. =)

We’ve spent our days on the beach playing in the waves, driving around checking out waterfalls, exploring back roads, and testing out local “restaurants” with super cheap and tasty (yet very spicy) food. We went to the market yesterday to check out all that was on offer. A great market with tons to buy, and of course tons to eat. As usual, Perry indulged in the meats, and I in the sweet Thai deserts. Sticky rice with banana cooked in banana leaf, young coconut juice . . . sooo good! I swear I will gain 300 lbs before we leave Thailand. I’m almost hoping that the food in Laos and Cambodia won’t be as good. I know I will be hopeless in Vietnam . . .

I have finally gotten around to organizing the diving. We leave tomorrow for a 4 day excursion to Similan Islands. I’m a little nervous about diving again after so long, but the company has offered me a thorough “refresher course” and a near dedicated instructor, so that has calmed my fears a bit. We’ll update again upon our return to Khao Lak.

Love to you all. As always check out photo gallery for more of our adventures. http://gallery.me.com/adamschen

No comments:

Post a Comment